Development Associate (Development Coordinator 1), School of Science
The MIT School of Science is an amazing enterprise that strives to carry out research at all the most exciting frontiers of science. The Development Office is committed to securing the engagement and financial resources of its friends and alumni. The newly created Development Associate reports to the Assistant Dean of Development.
The Development Associate serves as a core member of the School of Science development operation responsible for the event management, stewardship and donor relations, as well as development communications. As the Development Associate, you will be detailed, strategic, yet flexible with the ability to work independently. You will serve as a liaison with colleagues in Resource Development, the Alumni Association, the School of Science development officers and faculty, as well as other campus partners as needed.
Events management: Responsible for all logistics of the annual Dean’s Advisory Council (DAC) meeting, development cultivation events (SOS breakfast series) and individualized and specialized stewardship events, including but not limited to:
- Manage planning and execution of all development events.
- Work closely with Assistant Dean to determine event goals, strategies, audience participation.
- Manage logistics for all in-person and select virtual events including interfacing with development colleagues, A/V technicians, and facilities to ensure success.
- Manage all planning and track and manage donor follow up.
Stewardship and donor relations: Manage the stewardship effort in the School of Science to ensure that stewardship of our most generous donors is strategic, creative, and impactful.
- Responsible for the monthly thank you letters from the Dean of Science.
- Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of dynamic stewardship processes and systems that ensure meaningful and sustainable donor stewardship.
- Lead efforts to create new initiatives and enhance existing deliverables to promote donor retention, inform donors about the impact of their philanthropy and inspire further giving.
- Coordinate with central RD donor relations office to make sure all data is compiled for accuracy and compliance.
- Creates new reports and modifies existing reports. Manages databases and develops internal tracking systems. Provides research summaries on prospects as needed.
Development Communications: Responsible for developing strategic communication and marketing programs and materials to encourage engagement and philanthropic support for the School of Science.
- With the communications office, responsible for all logistics of the production of twice yearly Science@MIT including ordering mailing labels, purchasing orders and the direct emailing to alumni.
- With Assistant Dean for Development, produce strategic communications and marketing materials including printables, reports, and visit goals.
- May be asked to draft proposals and talking points for senior leader donor meetings.
- This role will work as a liaison with colleagues in Resource Development, the Alumni Association, School of Science faculty, divisions within departments and other campus groups as needed.
Basic Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years relevant experience in development, communications, events, or related.
Experience with Microsoft Office, database management preferably with BSR Advance, In-Design.
Aptitude to learn new systems.
Demonstrated interpersonal skills with experience providing complex administrative and programmatic support, working independently, and also contributing as a valuable team member.
Interest in the School of Science and Science in general.
This is a full-time position and requires a strong in-person presence. Four days in the office with Thursday as anchor day.
Position may require some travel, and working occasional nights/weekends.