Spectroscopy Laboratory

Spectroscopy Laboratory

The George R. Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory is engaged in research in the field of modern optics and spectroscopy for the purpose of furthering fundamental knowledge of atoms and molecules and pursuing advanced engineering biomedical applications. Founded in 1931 by Karl T. Compton and George R. Harrison, the Spectroscopy Laboratory has a long, distinguished history in the field of spectroscopy. Originally a world-recognized center for classical atomic spectroscopy and later a leader in infrared and Raman spectroscopic techniques, the Laboratory is continually pursuing new frontiers in spectroscopy, such as the development of spectroscopic techniques to diagnose disease. Research activities can be grouped in two major categories: research in physical science, which includes molecular and condensed-phase spectroscopy, and biomedical physics and engineering. The Laboratory houses the MIT Laser Biomedical Research Center (LBRC), supported by the National Institutes of Health. The LBRC supports core and collaborative research and independent projects by outside investigators from academia, government and industrial institutions and its facilities are open for biological and biomedicine research.